Home
Roster
40-year Reunion
45-Year Reunion
50-year Reunion
Senior Prom
Yearbooks
In Memoriam
Jan Class Pictures
June Class Pictures
LEHS Links
Get Connected
Privacy Policy
Page Title in large, blue letters on a yellow background "Lansing Eastern High School Class of 1961"

Site Dedication

In the Fall of 1928, 917 students entered (Lansing) Eastern High School, housed in a brand new million dollar building. Among them were the 195 members of the first graduating class (1929). Until that time, Lansing had only one public high school, Central. Thirty years later, on September 4, 1958, 677 Sophomore "B's" were added to the 152 Sophomore "A's" to create the 829 member class of 1961, the largest class ever to enter. This website is dedicated to those students, their teachers, and the heritage of our "nurturing mother," Eastern High School. Yet, in a greater sense, the site is dedicated to all of Eatern's "offspring", throughout the years, to all who remember their high school days with fondness, to the faculty and staff who made those days memorable, and to the schools that nurtured them.

Eastern High School: "A view of the front of the school.  Here the school faces west.  We are looking NNW at the two center entrances.  A blue and yellow sign is visible on the lawn, identifying the school."

Alma Mater

Here’s to our dear old Eastern.
Here’s to our high school days.
Sing out the good old songs, boys.
Ring out the good old yeas.
Here’s to our comrades all, boys.
Loyal we’ll be always.
Here’s to our dear old Eastern.
Here’s to our high school days.
The Eastern High School Seal: A banner at the top declares, 
     "Lansing Eastern High School."  At the bottom a second banner bears the school motto, 
     "Finis Coronat Opus" which may be interpreted to mean "The end crowns the work."  In the center, 
      a shield bears devices symbolizing athletics, practical skills, the arts, and science surrounding 
      a fifth device symbolizing language arts.

According to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary), "alma mater" comes from the Latin phrase meaning "fostering mother" and in English usage means "a school, college, or university which one has attended or from which one has graduated" or "the song or hymn of a school, college, or university." The Lansing Eastern High School Alma Mater (song) was adapted from "Frat" by John F Barth, which was published in 1910 and is here played by the Eastern High School Concert Band and sung by the student body on the occasion of the 75th anniversary celebration of the founding of the school. Sheet music for the song arranged as a march two-step and as a men's quartet may be found in the Duke University collection of Historic American Sheet Music ( http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/hasm.a0088/pg.1//)).

Webmaster

Mr. Don Wheeler, Principal

Important Links

Class of ’61 Yahoo!Group

Lansing Eastern High School

Eastern High School Alumni





This page last updated 30 Apr 2011